These easy Oreo Rice Krispy Treats are my new favorite thing. Rice Krispy Treats are so simple to make and so delicious! The recipe on the back of the Rice Krispies box makes a wonderful base for you to add anything else you want. This recipe adds crushed Oreos in the mix, and I add larger chunks on top for more flavor. If you’re feeling adventurous, try different cereals as a base, add in chocolate chips, nuts, or sprinkles for a fun alternative!
I don’t know about you, but Rice Krispy Treats remind me of my childhood. I still remember the bright metallic blue wrapper and the super sweet smell of the marshmallows. My mom would also make them for me after school! It wasn’t until I lived on my own when I found out how easy it was to make.
This recipe is best when you’ve just got a ton of leftover Rice Krispies or Oreos that are going a bit stale. I had about 15 Oreos left in the package (I was snacking on them throughout the week) and thought they would go great in a chewy, marshmallowy treat! This recipe asks for 14 Oreos, so if you’ve got an extra like me, just eat it while you make this! It also adds a few more marshmallows, only because I like it sweeter and it makes the treats chewier!
Alternatives to Oreos
If Oreos aren’t your thing, you can add whatever you’d like. To add other things into your rice krispy treats, just remove about a cup of rice krispies and then add a cup of added ingredients you want. You can also make the base recipe and then add things on top, like melted chocolate, more marshmallows, or even caramel. Now that I write this, I have a ton of ideas for recipes that I’d love to try out and share with you in the future!
Oreo Rice Krispy Treats
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 12 oz marshmallows
- 4 1/2 cups Rice Krispies
- 14 Oreos crushed + more for topping
- Grease a 9”x13” pan with butter or line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large pot over low heat, add butter. Heat until just melted.
- Once the butter is melted, add in the marshmallows. Mix continuously until the marshmallows melt completely, but the butter has not burned.
- Add the Rice Krispies and crushed Oreos into the pot. Mix together.
- Pour mixture into the prepared pan and spread out using a greased spatula. Sprinkle more crushed Oreos on top and press them into the Rice Krispies.
- Let cool on the counter or in the refrigerator until they harden up. Cut into squares and enjoy!