This berry crisp recipe is to die for! Berries must be my favorite fruit to bake with it. They’re tart, jam-like, and super versatile in any dessert! This berry crisp is extremely simple, you can even mix together the berries in your baking pan to speed up the process. You can use fresh or frozen berries, but I prefer frozen. Frozen is so much simpler. As the berries thaw, they release a ton of juice that create an amazing jam in this crisp.
Use your favorite type of berries. For this recipe, I used a bag of mixed strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries — All my favorite types. Feel free to use other types, like huckleberries and mulberries. But make sure you use a juicy, ripe berries, and nothing dried or already mashed up like acai berries!
The crisp on top is really easy, just melted butter, oatmeal, flour, sugar, and spices. It’s so delicious that I sometimes eat it right out of the bowl! If you love the crisp topping, you can definitely double the batch. You can also throw the crisp in the oven by itself and use it for a crumble on top of ice cream or yogurt!
This dessert pairs great with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or fresh whipped cream. The lemon zest and juice bring a delicious tartness to the berries that works well with the ice cream. Serve it warm by heating it in the oven to release some extra juice from the berries. When you’re in a pinch, a quick zap in the microwave will also warm it up fast.
More berry recipes
If you love berries like I do, I’ve made a couple of recipes that use berries. Check out my Berry Crumble Bars, Blueberry Lemon Scones, or Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble Bars recipes! Let me know in the comments if you have tried this recipe out or for any suggestions for future recipes.
Warm Berry Crisp
- 5 cups of frozen mixed berries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp cornstarch or tapioca starch
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground clove
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter melted
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF. Butter and grease a 9”x13” baking dish and set aside
For the berry mix
- In a bowl, mix together frozen berries, sugar, lemon juice, zest, vanilla extract, and cornstarch until full combined. Add the berry mix into the baking dish. Set aside.
For the crumble topping
- In another bowl, add flour, rolled oats, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and salt. Mix together.
- Pour melted butter into the dry ingredients and mix until it resembles wet salt and is crumbly.
- Add the crumble topping on top of the berry mixture in the pan, making sure it covers all of the berries.
- Bake in the over for 30-35 minutes or until the crumble is golden brown and the berries are bubbling.
- Let cool for about 15 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. Enjoy!