Old bananas? Make these muffins! I used my Sugar Crusted Banana Bread recipe to make these super simple banana nut muffins. I love how easy they are, all made in one bowl. Each muffin is moist and full of banana flavor! I used walnuts, but feel free to add in your favorite nuts to this recipe.
My recipe adds more bananas in it so you really get a ton of banana flavor. You can also make this recipe vegan by replacing the butter with vegan butter or almond oil. I love adding walnuts on the top to add to the overall crunch of the muffin. Any nuts will add great texture to this, but I highly suggest walnuts.
Make these ahead and freeze them too! They can sit in your freezer for about a month. Reheat them in the oven or toaster to have a warm muffin for breakfast. Also, you don’t have to eat these just for breakfast. Enjoy them as a simple dessert or to start your day!
Banana Nut Muffins
- 4 very ripe medium sized bananas peeled and mashed
- 1/3 cup melted butter or almond oil to make it vegan
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar + more for dusting
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of clove
- 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped + more for topping
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Fill a cupcake or muffin tin with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, mash the bananas. Add in the melted butter/oil and stir together.
- Stir in the sugar, vinegar, and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, baking soda, salt, and chopped walnuts. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix together until combined.
- Scoop the batter into each cupcake liner until they are 2/3rds of the way filled. Top the cupcakes with more chopped walnuts and then dust it with sugar.
- Bake the muffins for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Let it cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes, then remove each muffin and let cool completely on a baking rack before serving.