The summer is the best time for cherries! Why not use them to make a wonderfully simple cherry lemon cobbler? Once baked, the cherries have a great jammy consistency. The added lemon zest that gives a bright and tart flavor to this dessert. The cobbler topping is easy and can be used for other recipes. If you want to make this really simple, mix the cherries in the pan you’re baking it in. For easy clean-up, make the cobbler topping in one bowl!
Serve this dessert in the summer months, since cherries are in season. You can always use frozen pitted cherries if they’re not available. Make this ahead and reheat it, but don’t forget to top it with some ice cream or freshly whipped cream! Enjoy this easy recipe for the summer, your next July 4th celebration, or when you want a tart cherry dessert!
Cherry Lemon Cobbler
- 16 oz fresh or thawed frozen pitted cherries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch or cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar + extra for dusting
- 1/2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF. Grease, with softened butter, a 9”x13” pan or baking dish. Set aside.
For the cherry filling
- In a bowl, combine cherries, sugar, water, lemon juice, lemon zest, tapioca starch, and salt. Mix together and then pour into prepared baking dish. Set aside.
For the cobbler topping
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, lemon zest, and salt. Mix together well.
- Add in the unsalted butter and, using your hands, break up the butter into the flour mixture creating small tiny pieces. It should resemble wet sand and break apart easily.
- Stir in milk and vanilla extract. The mixture should look like pancake batter.
For the cherry cobbler
- Scoop the cobbler topping over the cherries and smooth it out. It may look like there isn’t enough, but it’s okay for the cherries to peek through the topping.
- Dust the top of the cobbler with extra sugar.
- Bake the cherry cobbler in the oven for 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown and you can see the cherries bubbling underneath.
- Let cool slightly and serve warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!