What’s not to love when you take a strawberry rhubarb pie filling and put it inside a crumble bar topped with a delicious oat streusel!? You get this wonderful tart and berry filled crumble bar that’s delicious and simple to make. What’s also great about this recipe is the same exact instructions as my Berry Crumble Bars that I made a few years ago. I also love that the shortbread and oat streusel are made from the same base, so you make one dough and use it for both.
I love the little addition of oats and cinnamon in this dessert recipe. Plus, lemon zest adds even more zing to the overall flavor of this crumble bar, if you weren’t already excited for the strawberries in this! If you try making this recipe, let me know in the comments or on instagram! Enjoy!
Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble Bars
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter cut into small cubes
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tsp cornstarch
- 2 1/2 cups strawberries fresh, cut, and diced
- 1 cup rhubarb cut into small 1/4 in cubes
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together sugar, baking powder, flour, salt and lemon zest. Add in the butter, beaten egg, and vanilla extract. Combine with hands until it resembles crumbles.
- Separate the crumbled in half into another bowl. In one of the bowls, add in the cinnamon and oats. Combine with your hands.
- Take the bowl of crumbles without oats and place them in the bottom of a 9”x13” pan. Press them down to make the crust.
- In the empty bowl, combine the strawberries, rhubarb, lemon juice, sugar, and cornstarch. Once mixed, spread them on top of the crust.
- Take the remaining crumble with oats and place them on top of the strawberry and rhubarb mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown on top and bubbly. Cool completely before cutting into bars.