Typically, bread is difficult to make. It takes a long time for you to proof and let rise that I don’t even bother to make bread that often… Until I learned about focaccia! This simple bread is made into a pizza and only proofed once.
Focaccia is normally cooked in olive oil, which this recipe does. It’s needed to make sure the bottom gets a nice crust. Enjoy this simple and easy meal that can be frozen, if you have any leftovers, and heated up again for a quick snack!
A delicious pizza with a bread like crust. Cover with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
- 1 cup warm water around 110°F
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 1/2 cups bread or all purpose flour plus 1/3 cup for kneading
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- For the baking pan
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Pizza or marinara sauce
- Shredded mozzarella or cheese of choice
- Your favorite toppings such as sausage, mushrooms, onions, or arugula
- Add water and yeast to a bowl. Stir to dissolve the yeast and let sit for 5 minute or until little bubbles form. In a separate metal bowl, fill it with hot water to heat up the bowl and set aside.
- To the bowl with the yeast, add in the flour, salt, and olive oil. Mix together until a dough forms. Spread the extra flour onto your work surface. Add the dough on top. Knead the dough for 5 minutes until it is smooth and slightly sticky. Form it into a ball.
- In the metal bowl with hot water, pour out the water and wipe it dry. Add in a tablespoon of olive oil. Put the dough in the bowl and coat with the oil. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and place it in a warm area of your kitchen, like the oven with the light on. Let sit and proof for 30 minutes or until it doubles in size.
- While the dough is proofing, prepare your toppings. Chop any vegetables, cook any meat, and shred any cheese for the pizza.
- Remove your dough from the oven if you proofed it there. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a 9×13 in pan, add the 1/2 cup of olive oil. Once the dough has doubled in size, stretch the dough into the pan.
- Assemble the pizza by adding pizza sauce to the dough. Add your toppings, cheese, meat, or vegetables. Let the pizza sit as the oven preheats for about 15 minutes. Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the sides are brown and toasty.
- Remove from over and let cool. Slice into rectangles and enjoy! Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.
Adapted from Food52’s Pizza Focaccia recipe
Calories: 201kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Sodium: 197mg | Potassium: 45mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 5mg | Iron: 1mg