I love a good coffee cake, especially with tons of cinnamon and streusel topping. This recipe is super simple, you make the batter, add half to the pan, put your cinnamon swirl in between, then add the rest of the batter and streusel on top!
The streusel is the best part, adding a sweet cinnamon crunch to your cake. Enjoy this in the morning with your coffee or tea!
Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- a pinch of salt
For the streusel topping
- In a bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar, nutmeg, and salt.
- Add in the melted butter and vanilla extract. Combine to make a crumbly mixture. Place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
For the cinnamon swirl
- Mix together the brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Set aside until ready to use.
For the cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix together the milk and vanilla extract in a small bowl. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, fully incorporating each egg before adding the next.
- Remove the vanilla bean pod from the milk. Set the mixer on low speed and add the dry ingredients, alternating with the milk mixture, in three batches until the batter starts to be combined. Finish the mixing by hand with a spatula so you don’t over-mix it.
- Place half of the cake batter in a prepared 8 x 8 in pan and smooth it out. Cover the layer with the cinnamon swirl. Add the rest of the cake batter on top. Finish the top of the cake by adding on the streusel.
- Place in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan. Cut into squares and enjoy!