I never liked scones, mainly because they’d always be dry and crumbly, but not these! The outside is crisp, but the inside is soft and buttery, just the way I think they should be.
The light lemon flavor adds a punch to the sweet blueberries that have become jam-like from baking. The glaze on top is a great touch to finish it off. Before baking, I’d suggest chilling them so they hold their shape when baking. Enjoy!
Blueberry Lemon Scones
A delicious blueberry and lemon scone, with melt in your mouth blueberries and tart lemon flavor, great with a cup of coffee.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter frozen, grated
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 4 tbsp heavy cream
For the scones
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest in a medium bowl. Mix together.
- Grate frozen butter into small pieces. Using a fork or your hands, combine butter with dry ingredients until it resembles a crumbly mixture.
- Add in the heavy cream and beaten egg. Mix until a hard dough forms.
- Fold in the blueberries with a spatula or by hand, being careful not to break them.
- On a floured surface, mold dough into an 8-inch circle. Cut into 8 triangles. Place on a cookie sheet, leaving each triangle about 1 1/2 inch apart.
- If the scones are soft and runny, put them in the freezer of refrigerator for 10-15 minutes to harden up.
- Brush with heavy cream and dust with sugar.
- Cook for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown and slightly crispy. Let cool on the pan.
For the glaze
- Combine confectioner’s sugar, heavy cream, and vanilla in a bowl to make a runny glaze.
- Drizzle glaze on the finished scones. Enjoy!
Calories: 366kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 82mg | Sodium: 323mg | Potassium: 84mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 729IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 117mg | Iron: 2mg
Do I have to lower the temperature when ready to bake or do I bake at 400 all the way?
Thank you for sharing!!!
Yes, that’s right. Make sure they’re chilled before cooking and they should be good at 400 for 20-25 minutes!