I’m such a fan of apple pie, but I hate having to make the pie crust. This recipe is so simple, just use a store bought crust and don’t worry about the topping the pie with dough! The apples come out wonderfully, slightly crisp with a wonderful cinnamon, brown sugar streusel on top.
Add a scoop of ice cream or spoonful of whipped cream to add some sweetness and cream to this dessert. Enjoy it cold or warmed up as well!
Dutch Apple Streusel Pie
- 1 pre-made or prepared 9″ pie crust
- 5 cups of Granny Smith apples peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4″ slices
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- a pinch of salt
For the pie crust
- Follow pie crust directions to prepare it for filling.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- For the streusel topping: In a bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add in the melted butter and vanilla extract. Combine to make a crumbly mixture. Place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
For the apple filling
- Mix together apples, melted butter, lemon juice, brown sugar, granulated sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a bowl.
- To assemble pie: In the prepared pic crust, layer apple filling by arranging slices on top of each like a puzzle. Make sure all the slices lay flat within the pan.
- Take the streusel topping out of the refrigerator and crumble up with your hands to make large chunks. Cover the filling to make an even layer of topping.
- Place the prepared pie on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until the apples are tender. Watch the edges of the pie as it bakes. If the sides get dark, cover with foil as it continues to bake.
- Remove the pie from the oven to cool completely before cutting and serving. Enjoy it with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream!