This is by far my favorite cookie to make. It’s easy, great to freeze if you want cookies later, and has an amazing toffee-like flavor from the browned butter.
Make sure you watch your browned butter on the stove, since it’s easy to burn it. I also suggest cooling to dough in the refrigerator before cooking them to get a better flavor. If you’re in a pinch, the freezer can be used to speed up the process!
Brown Sugar Chocolate Chip Cookies
A chewy, toffee flavored cookie with bittersweet chocolate chips and a touch of sea salt.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, divided
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate 60%–70% cacao chips
- Flaked sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Add the flour, salt, and baking soda in a small bowl and whisk together; set aside.
- Cook ½ cup (1 stick; 113 g) butter in a large saucepan over medium heat for 4 minutes until the butter becomes a light brown color. Make sure you keep stirring until so it does not burn.
- Put the browned butter in a heat safe bowl and let cool for 1 minute. After it cools, add the rest of the butter in small chunks to let it melt.
- Once butter is melted, add the brown and white sugars and mix. Whisk in the egg, egg yolks, and vanilla. Mix in the dry ingredients until it’s all incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate the cookie dough for 5-10 minutes in the freezer to help harden the dough a bit.
- On a parchment lined cookie or baking sheet, scoop out about 2 tablespoons of dough into balls and place them 3 inches apart.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes or until lightly golden brown. When you remove them from the oven, sprinkle a little sea salt on top of each cookie. Let cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and enjoy!
Adapted from Bon Appetit’s Best Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe
Calories: 216kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 52mg | Sodium: 135mg | Potassium: 77mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 282IU | Calcium: 23mg | Iron: 1mg
How many cookies does this recipe make?
Depending on the cookie scoop, it should make around 18 cookies, but using a smaller scoop can yield you more!